The Simpsons Parody The Simpsons Parody

It's like I'm actually watching the Simpsons.

Admittedly, there really isn't a lot left for the show to do these days. While I believe Futurama had a lot more potential to excel, The Simpsons is just done. There's really only so much you can do without changing some major dynamics.

Great animation, very nice voice acting, perfectly representative writing, and wonderful timing.

Oh, and the fart version made me crack up.
Though I suppose they were sort of spewing shit to begin with.

Samination responds:

I think you are right. I just wish they would stop trying so hard to be wacky.

The Pokemon Hoarder The Pokemon Hoarder

The art wasn't completely awful, but that's about it.
The primary jokes are rehashed, the voice acting wasn't bad - but low quality, and the comedic timing was god awful.
Everything was so... drawn out. It was hard for me to even watch the entire thing.

You have some level of potential, but you can't rely on funny faces and shock value you to win everyone over. You need to work on your comedic timing, as well as your comedic quality.

As for art? You need more depth. Some shading, highlights, the likes. Your style isn't bad at all, but it looks very bland without either thicker lines, or a lot more detail.
I can see you're going for a Jhonen Vasquez look, but try to redevelop it into your own style.

Mosamabindrawin responds:

Thanks for the feedback love!
I don't think I relied on shock value though. There was a well thought out story to it that justified everything shocking about it. I think when some people see things that are shocking they immediately write it off as something 'relying on shock' to get by and I think that mentality is ignorant. And as for not being able to win everyone over with it, I think I just did. No tea no shade <3

Whatcha-Ma-Funk Whatcha-Ma-Funk

I LOVE the latest additions to this.
Bill, you make me so hot.
Mmm.

Legitimately: The animation turned out very well. The art, pacing, and concept are very off-key, but somehow you pulled it off really well. The initial voice for Vestibule doesn't have the same positive impact on people who don't know you as a person, but I laughed so hard the first time you showed it to me, and I give mega plus points for that one.

The other voice actors portrayed their parts very well, and I appreciate them. <3

It's early in the morning, so I'm not going to write an extensive review.

I love you.

PS: The stud who did Bobbeh's voice deserves a round of applause, I think.

Mystery IQ Test Mystery IQ Test

162!
I'm usually very good at this sort of game, but the one about "One door" with the homophones messed me up a bit. I even tried using the hint, but it only told me what I already knew.
To be honest, I'm still not sure what it meant. I just got lucky on my second or third try.

Art: The visuals were pleasing enough. Not flashy or anything, but perfectly acceptable for the project.

Audio: Ambient and fitting, though I might have liked something with a brighter feel to it. Gets the brain working, you know? Endorphins = Prosperity

Programming: The doors were a tad glitchy, but overall a very functional game. I never had any issues.

Good stuff!

Alien Hominid Xtreme Alien Hominid Xtreme

Hands down one of the most addicting games on the site. Both aesthetically and nostalgically pleasing graphics, fitting and (surprisingly) not-so-annoying audio, and fantastic gameplay.

This game has twice the addictive value of its counterparts such as Toss the Turtle, if only because you actually have to actively play to travel farther, rather than passively aiding your character.

Cons:

- I would have liked some more OP upgrades, since I feel like the game should be beyond cake by the time I've played for all of them. Still, the upgrades you supplied were more than sufficient.

- A clearer objective would have been nice - possibly a way to win the game - but this is more of a personal preference. Others would contend that the competitive and infinitely challenging nature of the game is what makes it so addictive. But personally, I stopped soon after I received the last upgrades.

Regardless of anything, this game was fantastic! I loved it, and I have it queued for later gaming.

Keep making games!

Slime's Cake Quest Slime's Cake Quest

I figure I should go ahead and review this now, because I've played it twice.

I knew from the get go that this game would be very easily in the running for the top game, and I stand by that.

Art: VERY appealing! Everything here was simple, but professional. On top of that, I really liked the animation. Great framerate, and perfectly smooth. However, there could have been more detail on certain things, as well as more interesting foods, blocks, and items. Regardless, though, Tyler did a fantastic job. 8/10

Gameplay: The idea wasn't anything super new and innovative, but it was original enough to not only spark my interest, but keep it all the way to the end. I think this is the only Game Jam game apart from my own this time around that I finished. However, there were some minor bugs, and I often had to retry a maneuver to get it right. Another large and common issue is actually in the momentum. I would have actually recommended keeping it very simple in that aspect, making it much, much easier to jump over spikes and enemies with precision. The sliding and easing of momentum make certain tasks nothing short of irritable.
Still, very smooth work. I enjoyed it a lot. :] 7/10

Audio: The sounds here were wonderful! Particularly the main theme. I never expected that sort of music to fit a game like this, but you pulled it off so smoothly. It never grew tiresome, and the quality was just high enough to keep me interested, while still low enough to keep the filesize down. Great work there. 8/10

I really enjoyed playing this game, and I wish you the best of luck.

[NGADM] Undertow [final] [NGADM] Undertow [final]

I have ONE COMPLAINT: You didn't edit the file properties to give the piece a proper title and credit yourself as the artist.

Seriously excellent work. I linked the original post to a friend, saying "This is the kind of shit I have to compete with. :("
She offered no solace. Only, "That was dope af." Af, she says. Af.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you create for the next round.

Jimmypig responds:

Hahaha, that made me laugh, tell her I said "mt", that means many thanks, I'm still cool.

Yeah I always forget about the file data, oops! I'll be sure to fix it before I release it elsewhere. Thanks for the listen!

Wings Wings

God damn, fellas. You just shattered my hopes of progressing to the bracket rounds! Excellent sounds all throughout, particularly the bassist. The first half of the song had my head bobbing compulsively, and the last third got me drumming.

There are some mixing issues, particularly in terms of levels, and I get the impression that little to no EQ work was done. But the production still has an immersive, albeit amateurish feel to it.

Spectacular stuff. I won't be upset about losing this round.

TheMoebiusProject responds:

hey thanks! But It's quite the competition!! Even if it's a contest, Sports are to compete, art is to share! So 'm glad Im in this more for the reviews, tips and the opportunity of knowing new musicians like yourself! So, let's go at it not so much to win, but to become better artists in the process!! :)

One of Those Days One of Those Days

I listened to this on the way to the gym!
It was a terrible, terrible workout.

But this was stuck in my head the entire time. Excellent piano, beautiful vocals. Very reminiscent of 30s blues.

I'd recommend using a lot more breath support behind your voice. You have a great sound, but you're holding back to fit the mood of the piece. Even singing something like this, it's always important to have plenty of breath, and plenty of energy in your voice.

Great submission, brotha. I hope to see you in the next round. :)

ChronoNomad responds:

Thanks a lot, Jacob! Sorry to hear that your workout was so terrible, but I guess if you had to have a song stuck on repeat in your head at the time, this one would be rather appropriate.

Very pleased indeed to get such a positive review and helpful feedback from a guy who sings vocals on a regular basis! Yeah, this kind of piece always makes me think back to the music of the roaring 20s and 30s. I was actually a little torn with the overall genre since the piano is so very Jazzy, while the lyrics themselves are much more Bluesy in nature. Suffice to say, I am overjoyed that you feel the elements work well together! :D

I really appreciate the advice, and yeah...I was purposefully holding back a bit to tap into the mood of the piece. Unfortunately, I am also coming (very slowly) off a very nasty Summer cold, so my lung capacity is crappy right now. Your words could not be truer, but I found a good space to record lyrics when the neighborhood was quiet, so I jumped on it. Nevertheless, I could have waited a few days longer to see if there would be more improvement in my condition and ability to belt out strong vocals. Hopefully it won't be too damaging in the long run.

Many thanks, my man! Hope to see you there, too. Can't wait to hear what you come up with!

Carrot Jockey Carrot Jockey

I'm in love with the elegant political commentary regarding carrots on unicorns. Only so often do I see that here. It really got me thinking.

Sockembop responds:

I'm glad you picked up on the political statement about carrots on unicorns. I was worried people would miss that.

The weird kids The weird kids

I'd never pick on a dude like that.
Sick work like always!

Nuclear War! Nuclear War!

God I'm excited for this.
My only real criticism is that the sabers should be thicker; fairly comparable to the size of the hilt. Maybe more texture for the mask, too.

Kel-chan responds:

Yup problem solved! These pictures are made with a different rendering engine which makes pretty pictures but is too much for my computer to handle so theres another program i'm using to make the actual animation. It's slightly less pretty but it fixes the LS blades so they're nice and fat and glow